Thursday, September 20, 2012

False start

Well I finally got round to playing some small MTTs and to be honest it did not go well.

The first one was me blowing off some cobwebs as I hadn't played in a week therefore although I played like a chump I won't beat myself up.

The last tournament I played was a $5,000 prize fund.  I finally started to focus and play some solid poker.  I was playing selectively aggressive and it was working like a charm.

Average stack size was around 5k and the blinds at 100/200.  In the big blind Im dealt bullets.  Mid position raises 3x blinds it folds round to the button whom raises a small amount.  I re-raise to $2,000 which I strongly believed would be sufficient to thin the field however the person to my left calls and the original bettor goes all in.  I therefore raise all in.  4 way showdown with myself having AA the person to my right K9s, original bettor having suited A9 and the other with JJ.  The chips in the pot would have made me the new leader.  Flop comes all diamonds and gives K9s a flush.

I personally think I played this hand correctly with a 2k raise being enough to push K9s out of the hand.  However I guess he was in the mood to gamble and I can't fault that.  As long as I played the hand correctly I am happy.

In a former life this would have sent me ragging to a cash game I didn't have the bankroll to accommodate.  So i'm taking this as considerably progress from where I left off playing a year ago.  I hope that I continue to play with focus and selective aggression.

I'll give some more MTTs ago tomorrow but for now BR is at $20.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta realize one thing mate - tourneys are even more strict in terms of BR than cash games.
    While you should move up a limit with 30 BI on cash games, some say 100 BI for a tourneys aren't enough to PLAY there... ;)

    Just a hint, GL and see you at the tables! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realize that with 4 allin, you are a dog regardless of the cards. You aren't a lock preflop against any two live cards. You were at a table of gamblers that often marks inexpensive tournaments. If it is annoying, try different games. Hold'em attracts idiots more than other games. It is the only one the couch potatoes have heard of.

    ReplyDelete